Friday, July 30, 2010

Hydrangea the color of wine


Flowers have been a subject for my paintings for quite a while. I recall receiving a book on how to draw flowers back in 1970. That book focused my awareness of the unique beauty of nature. Trying to capture the essence of this complex and varied subject has been a long time pursuit.

both 10" x 8" oil on board

A floral arrangement bursting with hydrangea, rose of sharon, oregano and a whole lot more, is the focus of these two paintings.

Painting is often a very solo pursuit. The application of color and the expression is something that comes from within. I find that the environment (where I paint and who I paint with) can be a big influence the outcome of my work.

Painted among friends at a monthly "Paint Day" these paintings capture more for me than a representation of the flowers, the camaraderie of my fellow artists are also represented in these images. Our group lost a beloved member just days before this gathering. Jan Rapp will forever be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment