Wednesday, January 12, 2011

three foot squares

Two recent paintings that I completed in the past couple of weeks. The biggest thing they have in common is there size. Though both canvases are 36" squares and are both representational still lives, the execution and paint are different.


A kaleidoscope of color, these pincushions are painted with oils. Knowledge of my oil paint pallet allowed me to capture the color jewel tone satins of these kitschy little pincushions. Working with warm and cool hues of the primary colors; red - blue - yellow, I am able to represent the color relationships of the objects set up in front of me. The intensity of the colors in this painting catch me by surprise when I see it in daylight.



The painting above is not an oil painting. Painted with water based mediums, I integrated a combination of different materials and techniques to get the effects I was trying for. A still life with a toy car and the ceramic items in front of it seemed to be about the space around the objects as much as the objects them selves. Painted with a limited pallet of about 6 random colors, focused more on the value and color temperature than a particular hue.

No comments:

Post a Comment