Monday, December 31, 2012

takes two to tango



As 2012 comes to an end – I realize today is the last chance to post these paintings if I'm ever going to. Inspired by the Pantone color of the year 2012; Tangerine Tango. These paintings are almost a year old, though I don't think anyone has ever seen them. They began was when I discovered a pair of white frames in my studio. Thinking that I would not find I use for them I questioned why I have them. I'm not someone who easily gets rid of things, so I tried to imagine what I use they might have. Being shinny white a tangerine color seemed the only direction to go. With Tangerine Tango the color of the year and I had a pair of frame – I knew IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO

These are painted with acrylics on a heavily textured gesso ground on unstreched canvas whose edges are frayed. Many layers of transparent and colored washes infused with iridescent and metallic pigments built up to create an opalescent surface to these paintings. Sanding through the layers of paint brought out interesting subtleties in the paints surface. Polishing the surface enhanced the effect. 



No comments:

Post a Comment