Tuesday, March 10, 2009

persimons



Every fall I paint persimmons. I am fond of the color. These paintings show two different types of the fruit. The top image in the pink dish shows Fuji persimmons, a flatter more squat fruit. The second two are from my own tree, they were said to be "Chocolate Persimmons". I must admit I didn't recognise any chocolate flavor, but the fruit I tried was not ripe yet. You never want to eat an unripe persimmon. The bottom two took 7 years to paint. I planted the tree in 2001 and this was the first time I had any fruit on it. I had 10 persimmons, 9 on the same branch. The fruit is in vintage California pottery, I was told these shallow dishes are for floating Camellia blossoms in. A persimmon tree often will have fruit hanging on it after the leaves have fallen off, giving a look as if decorated with orange Christmas ornaments.
each 8" x 8" oil on board

No comments:

Post a Comment